Ruck is scraping the hell out of my lower back

• Got a standard issue ruck recently and have been rucking in full OCPs w/ the ruck. I have done a 16, 12, and 8 mile over the past 3 weeks.  My lower back has gotten progressively more scratched up with each ruck and the 8 miler was drawing blood. Typically most of the damage is done during the running period of my rucks (i do intervals). I tried to troubleshoot with shirt tucked/untucked, and boxers on/off. No boxers seemed to help, but wasn't too much of a difference with the shirt either way. I have a 20 miler this week and am considering throwing some moleskin over the scabs, probably going to hurt like hell coming off. Do any of you experience this, and what is the best way to prevent it? 

best, 

Josh 

• Hey Joshua,

what you're describing is a classic case of the dreaded ruck rash!  Unfortunately this is part or rucking. 

there are some things you can do to mitigate it though. You could try using a compression type shirt (think under armor) and try to keep it tucked in. The only issue is you may not be able to use that in SFAS (all compression clothes were banned when I went through).

The other option is to use some body lubricant made for chaffing. luckily we sell something just for this! Check out our store and search Squirrel's Nut Butter. It's a funny name but that stuff is magic! Put it on your lower back where the chaffing occurs, nipples, and inner thighs if you're a thicc boy and you'll be amazed with the results. 

Good luck, a nasty case of ruck rash is no fun!

• @Joshua Saha when this has happened to me its been a mix of an imbalanced ruck and my shirt riding and sliding with the sway of the ruck. Wearing layers and keeping your undershirt tucked will help the friction stick to the ruck and your top layer or two. Wearing the weight higher on your back will put less pressure against your lower back and lead to less friction as well.. and when all else fails, go with what Kurt said and throw some anti-chafing anything on there. Cover yourself in nut butter if you need to, your thighs, feet, shoulders, lower back - and nuts - will thank you!